How to Get the Most Out of Your AC!
How to Get the Most Out of Your AC
May 30 2019
The last thing you want in the middle of summer is for your AC unit to break. So before the heat arrives in full force, you should make sure it’s working efficiently.
Even if you’ve already started using your AC, you probably aren’t depending on it yet — making now the ideal time to take a close look at how your unit is functioning.
How can you avoid being stuck in a hot, stuffy house? Prepare your AC unit for summer weather:
Do the necessary checkups.
Having a newer AC unit doesn’t guarantee cooling efficiency or that you’re breathing fresh air. Here are a few things to check now to ensure your home’s AC is running well:
- Air filters: To remove the most contaminants, replace your air filter every two to three months.
- Insulation: Cool air can easily escape a poorly insulated home. Check windows and doors, as well as walls and your attic, to make sure they’re properly insulated.
Recognize when your unit needs repair.
You don’t need to know how to repair an AC unit. But the ability to recognize when your unit isn’t functioning up to par can save you money.
Think something’s off? Here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- Is there any damage to the fan blade (on the machine outside)?
- Does it sound clunky? Your AC unit should be relatively quiet.
- When you turn it on, does it smell odd?
Schedule regular HVAC service.
Regularly scheduling AC maintenance is one of the best decisions you can make as a homeowner. Every year that your unit isn’t serviced, its efficiency drops.
Ideally, you should schedule two HVAC service inspections per year: once in spring and a second time in fall.
Do you have more questions about your HVAC unit? Or do you need help prepping your house for summer? Get in touch.